Damn You Steve Jobs

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 22:50 Posted by leosaumure
You're luck I have coffee
New Zealand has just adjusted its clocks to daylight savings time last weekend, and as I live here, I thought it might be a good idea to follow suit.  I'm such a wimp when it comes to peer pressure.

"All the cool kids are setting their clocks forward.  Are you chicken"
"I'll show you who's chicken.  I'll set my clock forward an hour and a half!"
Without going into the facts that study after study shows that due to daylight savings, productivity is lost, more accidents occur, and now a new study shows that it doesn't even save money on electricity anymore due to people running their AC for longer, let me just say that I hate daylight savings.  Worst idea ever!  Rest assured, I have been cursing Benjamin Frankiln's name on a daily basis.  True story!  I keep an American C-note in my wallet and swear at it daily.  Makes my boss look at me funny every day.  Well, that and the feather boa I wear to work.

So it is bad enough that because of daylight savings, we lose an hour of sleep, but due to a software glitch in the iPod software, over the last two nights I have lost an additional hour as well.

Kristie and I get up at 5:15 AM three weekdays a week to go for our morning runs (giggle...morning runs).  That in itself is hard enough to do.

"Hey Leo, its me, your iPod.  Listen, I know it is pitch black outside, and it is cold, rainy and windy, but what do you say to getting out of that warm bed and going for a run?"
"Ugh"

Anyway, to make matters worse, with daylight savings, we're now getting up at 4:15 AM.

"Hey Leo, I know it is pitch-"
"Shut up!!!!"

Ok, so now we get onto why Steve Jobs is now dead to me.  How many of you out there still have alarm clocks?  I'd bet many of you now use cell phones, computers, etc. to wake yourself up.  Well, I use my iPod.  But due to a glitch in the iPod's software, after we switched to daylight savings, the alarm of the built in alarm app is malfunctioning.  Instead of the alarm going off when scheduled, it goes off an hour early!  That's right, not only do we have to get up at an ungodly hour normally, now we've lost an hour of sleep, AND the alarm clock is ringing an hour earlier than it is suppose to!  That means for the last two mornings, we've been getting up at 3:15 AM in the freaking morning!  Yes I know that saying AM and "in the morning" are redundant; I'm operating on very little sleep here people!

What is strange about it is, the current time on the iPod clock itself read as 4:15 AM, but the alarm, which was happily chiming loudly, reads 5:15 AM.

"Leeeeeeeoooooooooooooo, its me, your iPod.  It is 5:15 AM!  Time to get up!"
"No it isn't!  It says right here it is only 4:15 AM!"
"Oh.  Sorry.  Never mind.  Love you!"
"*&#% You!"
This has happened the last couple of mornings.  The first time, I thought it was user error, but the next morning, after I fished the iPod out of the trash, I found that I had indeed set it properly.  Today I did a bit of Googsearch (Googsearch, a word coined by me, and is now trademarked) and found a blog posting that confirms that I'm not crazy...well, at least in this particular instance.

I took the advice written in the blog post and just set a single alarm rather than a repeating alarm, and then tested it.  From what I can see, it is working at the moment.  But if I get up at 4:15 AM tomorrow, I'm going to see how many flushes it will take before that thing goes down the drain.

Steve Jobs, you owe me two hours of sleep!

2 Response to "Damn You Steve Jobs"

  1. Unknown Says:

    omg what the hell do you do with all of your time lmol that was super awesome... oh and funny :)

  2. leosaumure Says:

    I pretty much just laid in bed stewing.

Post a Comment