Lights Out

Monday, April 23, 2012 15:41 Posted by leosaumure
All right, this has happened twice since I've been using Linux Mint:

I'm using my laptop, plugged in, and then I decide to move my laptop to another room, but since I don't have much juice left in my laptop battery, I unplug the laptop, and then plug it back in. But when I plug it back in, the screen brightness tanks. And I mean tanks! I can barely see a thing!

Rebooting doesn't help either. The only way to fix the problem is to restart the laptop, interrupt the boot process to get into the BIOS and then adjust the screen brightness from there. And I have to do it all from a darkened room. I literally have to turn off any lights that may be on so that I can see the screen. That is how dim it gets!

Linux fans may say:
"Well just don't unplug it while the laptop is on!"
Really? Really? Your advice is rather than address the problem, I should just work around it? (Wow...that conversation actually happened inside my head!)

Anyway, I'm not saying that this doesn't happen on different distributions of Linux, or Windows or Mac, or on different hardware, etc. All I'm saying is that if I'm taking my computer into a darkened room, I don't want to do it to adjust the brightness.

2 Response to "Lights Out"

  1. Rod Says:

    ... a reason to get night-vision goggles?

    To me, it sounds like a hardware problem if you have to change the bios to fix it. Are there any bios updates for that computer?

  2. Leo Saumure Says:

    I'll look into updating the bios. Thanks!

Post a Comment